This year I'm taking an American Government course, and it is quite possibly my favorite subject ever. We're reading really cool books (a bunch of texts written contemporarily with the Revolution) and last week I got to write two of the most enjoyable papers of my academic career.
They were supposed to be two papers, written in the first person, one condoning the Revolution the other condemning it. I have this terrible history of going off on tangents when I write in the first person so I was actually dreading these papers, but I found a solution. Instead of writing a letter or something, which I hear most people do, I wrote a political essay. I basically pretended I was Thomas Paine or someone back then and spent about 800 words bashing on either the British or the Revolution. I got way too into it, and after the first one I had almost convinced myself that the American Revolution was some idiotic idea thought up by upstart colonists. Luckily, the next day I wrote one in favor of the war, so my opinion's back where it belongs.
Having fun doing school is the best. Sometimes I just get into these funks where I lose all motivation and just drown under all the things I'm refusing to do. There are really only two ways to get out of those, neither of which happen very often: have fun or get it all done. Usually I have to suffer through all the work, but every blue moon or so I enjoy an assignment enough to motivate me to finish everything. I love it when school loves me.
Speaking of school, I got my SAT scores back! I am so happy! They are finally good enough to get into my dream college, so I don't need to take it again in November :) Now all I need to do is make sure my mom's okay with them and pray that the admission committee knows that I really am smarter than my scores. Keep those fingers crossed.
Random note, I just heard the word catawampus used in a sentence. There really is a first time for everything!
No comments:
Post a Comment