Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Writing Prompt: Rewrite a Fairy tale AND Write about a novel you want to write

So today's post was actually written in sections, so I apologize if it doesn't make sense. I tried to edit it, but I'm not sure how to fix it without totally rewriting the whole thing, which I'm too lazy to do. So here's my imperfect fairy tale!

Writing Prompt #__: Rewrite a fairy tale

The sun pierced through the dense foliage, making a patchwork of shadows on the path below. Bianca stopped her slow stroll and watched as two cardinals quarreled with each other in high pitched chirps. A twig snapped behind the princess and interrupted their conversation. Her eyes followed them longingly as the two birds fluttered off in a flurry of feathers. If only she could leave so easily.
The air held a crisp bite, but even still the spring-time sun was working its magic on the picturesque pine boughs burdened with snow.
Snow.
Bianca shuddered. She hated her silly nickname. As if she didn't get enough attention being a princess everybody simply had to go around exclaiming that she was the most beautiful maiden in all the kingdom.
"Fairest of them all." Those were his exact words.
Only a fortnight before yet another suitor had arrived at the palace to beg for her hand. This one was different, though. All the other princes were, well, princes. This man could be a beggar off the streets for all anyone knew about his past. He was oily enough to con the teeth from one's dentured grandmother, and had the morality to match.
And everyone bought it. Even Snow's step mother complimented him, a thing unheard of for the queen.
"He is simply charming, isn't he dear Bianca?"
"Yes mother," the princess replied in an uncharacteristic bout of sarcasm, "Prince Charming."
It became his common nickname around the palace to his enjoyment and her mortification.

Bianca stopped dead in her tracks, her heart in her throat. A little way ahead two fauns were grazing on the underbrush near the path. They were young and looked all legs, but their mother, who appeared from behind one of the trees, possessed a captivating grace that appealed to the princess.
Slowly, noiselessly, Bianca crept closer to the trio. Her stealth had improved immensely over the years of wandering through the forest, and now most animals had become accustomed to her presence. But the deer had always been skittish and a loud noise or sudden movement would surely startle them away.
A bush rustled abruptly, violently, and the doe's head shot up for a split second before the three deer bolted off into the woods.
Bianca looked around her, bewildered, until she found the bush in question. She let out a terrified shriek as, instead of settling, the bush spouted six little men, armed to the teeth. They couldn't have been more than three feet tall, but that didn't detract from their overall intimidating impression. The princess had only a moment to register the motley of spears, short swords, and daggers being brandished by the dwarves. The next moment she was struggling, to no avail, in the ropes bound tightly around her wrists.
"Are you sure she's the one?" one asked doubtfully.
"She bette' be, or Durel will have our hides."
Bianca shrank away as they scrutinized their prisoner.
"Wha's the hold up?"
Every head turned at the new voice, and several dwarves straightened up. Bianca's view was blocked, but it was obvious that this man was in a position of authority. And a high one, by the sound of it.
After a bit of foot scuffling by her captors, one dwarf stepped forward gingerly.
"We foun' the girl wandrin' 'bout in the fores' so natrally we followed her. Then i' strikes us, sir. She fits the ex'at perscriptions o' that girl the bounty was abou', no we nabbed her." His fellow conspirators nodded, grunted, and shifted in agreement.
"Y' boys think ye can jus' pick girls up if ye think there'll be a penny in it fer ye?" 
Bianca's heart soared. Perhaps they weren't all savages after all.
Another of the dwarves squared his shoulders to interrupt the tirade.
"If ye don' mind, sire, ye really shoul' see 'er."
Again, this was followed my signs of approval by his comrades, and they stepped away from her to give the captain a clear view.
The captain's face underwent a succession of emotions, but to Bianca's horror, not the correct ones. She was expecting something along the lines of surprise, shame, pity, and tenderness. Instead she was met, finally, with an expression of sad, grim resolution. 
"Fairest maid in the lan', sir," a dwarf prompted.
"I KNOW WHAT HE SAID," roared the captain, grabbing the rope that bound Bianca's wrists. "Com'on boys," he said in a defeated voice, "le's go home."
Half a dozen dwarves turned on their heel and loped, single file, back the direction the captain had come. Bianca foundered on the ground, cheeks burning, trying to regain her balance. A small, strong hand was offered, and without thinking the princess accepted the help.
As the captain pulled her up, she barely caught his gruff words.
"I'm sorry, princess."
_______________________________________________________________________________

Writing Prompt #__: Write about a novel you want to write.
I got the idea for this novel from this past writing prompt. It got me thinking, because I wanted something original for the story. And thinking is a dangerous past time for a writer. While I wrote that short little scene I accidentally made up the plot for the whole story in novel form. I'll give you some background information before plunging* you in head first.

Characters:
Step Mother: controlling, but NOT evil. Is currently in deep mourning for her late husband (the king, Bianca's father)'s death.
Prince Charming: oily is the first word that comes to mind. When he arrives at the palace he doesn't reveal any information about himself, not even his name (hence the need for a nickname), and still has the audacity to woo Bianca. Hails from a neighboring kingdom.
Dwarves: seven legendary rebels. Their band was formed by Durel to fight against the oppression their people were suffering in the neighboring kingdom. They were finally banished and now have to mine for a living.
Durel: the undisputed leader of the dwarves. His temper is as short as he is. He's just, but uses his own code of honor. Incidentally, kidnapping innocent princesses is not on the "good" side of that code.

Plot
The story begins when Prince Charming arrives at the castle. Bianca, already overwhelmed by her numerous suitors, is also troubled over her father's death, and has taken to walking often in the country side to escape. When Prince Charming realizes that Snow doesn't love him and he's working for a lost cause, he hires the dwarves to abduct her.
The dwarves, especially Durel, would normally never agree to kidnapping anyone, but PC has not only blackmailed them (he'll tell the authorities where the outlaws are) and offered them an army for their cause. Without one, they would never be able to overthrow the neighboring kingdom's treacherous rule.
I'm really not sure how Bianca really plays a part in all of this, except for the damsel in distress. I'm working on that. But in the meantime, she and Durel are going to fall in love.
Finally PC will come to take her away, probably to his own kingdom. There he'll explain to Bianca all his evil plans. (Cliche, I know, but I can't help it). He'll show her his troops and tell her that they will be marching on her home country unless she marries him, thereby putting him in line for king.
She'll be devestated, but eventually will agree to marry him, at which point the dwarves will return to rescue her, overthrow PC's kingdom, and allow Durel and Bianca to live happily ever after.

*Is it even possible to "plunge" someone??
_______________________________________________________________________________

So that catches y'all up on my writing so far. Right now I'm working on a character based off coffee (another of Josie's prompts), but he's giving me some trouble. He keeps disobeying and reading instead of playing sports like I want him to, and go generally Sherlock-Holms on me, so I have quite a bit of work before he's ready to socialize.
And now I've got to go for dinner, so ta-ta!

3 comments:

  1. OKAY ABBY you HAVE to write that one now. No getting out of it, that's too awesome to be left unwritten. I really, really love that idea.
    DURIEL. I seriously think I would love him an indecent amount.
    I like how you've questioned the whole idea of Prince Charming ( not that I have anything against it, in general :P ). There are a lot of fairy tale adaptions, but most of them don't do that, so this was kind of a refreshing take.
    So basically you have now indentured yourself to this story, and I insist you write it whether you like it or not. ; ) If you don't I might have Mercy kill you.

    By the way, nice wallpaper!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the best! I accept your challenge! I'll email you the outline in a minute.

      Delete
  2. Awesome!!!! I'm so excited....What are friends for if not for blackmailing you into writing novels? :D

    ReplyDelete