Tuesday, March 25, 2014

I Just Love Youth Group

I just got home from another youth group...gathering. I guess it's just youth group. Whatever. I've had mixed feelings about youth group for a while now. I love my friends, and I love getting together to party, but I've always felt that youth group is not the place to do it. I always wanted it to be set apart; something we could do to break the pattern of our everyday parties (I wish!). This past semester there have been some major changes, but it's taken some time to find the happy medium.

There were a few weeks where we spent the whole hour and a half on Bible study, which just burned everyone out. I mean, I love Bible study, but it can be trying to spend so much time on it, especially when half the room is trying to discuss and the other half is poking fun at the first. It leads to me getting mad at people, which is not a pleasant feeling. I hate hating my friends.

At the same time I don't want it to turn into just a plain old party. Now, I'm not saying anything against parties. I love parties. Anyone who knows me, or even reads this blog, will almost definitely have that fact already implanted in their minds. But I do like a little bit of color in my life (I think I inherited that from my mom), and I looked to youth group for that color. I hoped it would be a time to discuss our awesome faith with our friends. It isn't a subject that comes up explicitly too often. I find it hard to talk about the faith with friends not only because we all share about the same extent of knowledge, but also it's something so personal that, unless considered in a not-giddy environment, sounds hollow and laughable.

But twas not so tonight. Tonight a bill was passed to limit the Bible discussion to fifteen minutes, and we were able to keep relatively quiet during that time (okay, not really, but it was just a bad day for that). I think that this will really help keep the majority of people interested all the way to the games at the end.
And it worked like a charm. We stopped the discussion right on the dot, and, after a small talk by one of the leaders, got right to the carefree game portion. I've gotta say: having finished the Bible study I was able to appreciate the games so much more.

And now it's ten thirty and I just realized that I never got to the point I came on here to make. I didn't originally want to give a detailed analyses of my views, but the consequence for my ditzy-ness is that now there isn't enough time to talk about the really cool thing. I'll just need to tell you tomorrow. G'night!

No comments:

Post a Comment