So, because this is new to me, please feel free to comment corrections and suggestions and just plain comments!
Writing prompt: What if you were stuck inside a mirror? What would it feel like?
I raced across the surface of the windows which glinted in the morning sun. It was exhausting, but at least my gir was tired too, so I was allowed to pant. Finally she slowed to a walk and noticed me there. She looked concerned and hope surged through me. Had she noticed me? Would she set me free?
Her hand shot up to her brow where she pushed away some hair which had fallen over her eyes, and I was forced to follow. The short lived hope faded as she gave a satisfied smile and continued along the street toward the school.
At least at the school I could have a break. Nothing but gray walls, lockers, and desks. I would tail her, or course, but I wouldn't need to be seen.
The other reflections gave small nods in greeting as we passed them and their owners in the hall. My eyes strayed to the tall, lanky boy entering the library. A familiar emotion stirred in me. Would it be safe to follow him?
For a moment I was undecided, but one more look at my vain girl gave me the little push I needed to make my choice. I left her and followed Dean. She could live without her reflection for an hour.
I searched the library as I did every time I entered a room, but this time I care less for mirrors and more for the boy sitting in the chair across the library. It didn't matter too much, though. I'd been in the library countless times and the main difficulty was avoiding the long mirror that lined the far wall. No prob.
As I walked toward Dean I wondered why my girl never noticed him.He obviously liked her. My mind raced along the same path it took every time I thought about him. Maybe he would notice me. Maybe he would accept my shallow girl's reflection in place of her. Maybe he would tell her...maybe I could be free.
Dean was lost in his book, brown hair falling over his face. I sat next to him and watched his eyes flitting across the page. What didn't she see in him? He was cute. Funny. Smart. Kind. And why was I the only one who saw this?
The bell rang. Had it already been an hour? He got up, shoving his fingers through his hair and glancing up at the mirror. I looked up too. My girl had just walked in. Jealousy flared through me. She didn't deserve him. I doubt she even knew his name. Why couldn't he see that I loved him?
See me.
I jumped up as he made his way back to the door. I felt the irrepressible urge to do something rash; unpredictable. Here was my chance. I walked into the mirror and waved. He looked confused (probably because She had never looked twice at him) then looked over his shoulder. He was searching for the girl who was surely causing the reflection. When he looked back I beckoned him closer. Looking over his shoulder again with suspicion in his eyes, he came closer.
"Where are you?"
I had never succeeded before, but all the same I opened my mouth the way the people do when they speak. Like every other time no sound came out. I looked frantically about; he was confused and had started walking back. I pleaded and he paused.
Like my girl, I had a backpack slung over one shoulder. Ignoring warning glances from the other reflections, I proceeded to fish out a pencil and notebook.
I glanced back at Dean every few moments as I wrote out a message in their strange backward writing, but he was now totally absorbed and was staring at the page too.
"Don't go," I finally wrote. "I love you."
A scream echoed through the library, shattering the silence and the moment.
Every head turned, and there, at the door standing in front of the mirror was my girl; she was missing her reflection.
_________________________________________________________________________________
So I'd love to hear back from you about this. I'm really excited. Since getting this blog I've been writing TONS more. Coincidence? I think not!
Hi there! I'm a friend of Lost and Found's, so that's how I got here :) I just wanted you to know that I loved this! (=
ReplyDeleteWoah! Abby! That was INCREDIBLE! I LOVED your spin on that. Totally cool and unique.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see what you'll do next!
That was awesome. Amazing. I loved it. Can you write more of this please???
ReplyDelete<3