Thursday, August 22, 2013

Just another story

Writing Prompt # 2: You're holding a Dragon Egg. Why?

The heat crept through my gloves as I walked clumsily toward the mountains. My feet, in contrast to my upper body, were frozen through numb because of the new fallen snow they were treading upon. The scent of burned meat filled my nostrils and the temperature rose to a painful degree, but I had to keep walking.

I gasped as the egg finally burned through my leather gloves, but I did not let go. It had been Shakri's last wish that I bring her only egg to this old dragon, and now that I was so close I would not stop at anything.

My fingers blistered, and my feet ached. Had it only been two weeks ago that I was forced to begin this journey? It seemed like an eternity.

I can still feel the wind in my face as I flew through the clouds. They were preparing to dust the earth with snow, and it was a harsh wind, but the dragon beneath me kept me warm. I remember the exhilaration that had elated me. I was arrogant. Naive. Foolish. War was not the time to feel invigorated. Death was not to be scoffed at. But I didn't know.

I can also remember the moment when Shakri was hit and we fell from our lofty height. Even at the last my beautiful dragon thought only of me. She wrapped me in her wings, and the screaming ceased, and she told me what would happen when we reached the hungry earth. I was hysterical, but there was nothing I could have done to stop it. The wing that was protecting me was damaged beyond flight. She would not let me go, until the fatal crash that stole all the resistance from her.

Even in the face of tragedy I had moved reflexively. Sobs racked my body, but I ran, Shakri's only child, the fragile egg, clutched to my chest. In the shelter of the woods I turned, risking everything my friend had died for. And there she was, midnight scales glinting in the light of their own fire.
_________________________________________________________________________________

So vhat do you think? Is it just too cryptic? Tell me! Tell me!

1 comment: