Monday, August 12, 2013

The long awaited post.

Now that Fair is over I'm able to look back on it with fond memories. Funny how time does that. Overall, though, I believe that it was one of the most rewarding Fairs I've been to and I'll tell you why in this extremely long post that was written over the course of four days.

_________________________________________________________________________________
August 8th:
After a week of being there for nine hours a day, the Fair gets pretty boring, so my friends and I started shaking things up from the get go.

On the second day, after showing Mozy, I ran wildly around the carnival for five hours with Josie (formerly known as Molly) and Evelyn, finally finishing the day off with In-N-Out and a Doctor Who marathon. Pure bliss.

Wednesday was uneventful, but fun. We sat around the barn playing cards and I wrote my first short story (you may have noticed by now that I'm extremely please with myself for this. I suppose it's best that you learn now, but I'm quite conceited.) 

And now we come to the REALLY exciting part yet. Thursday I went with a gang of four of my friends to the Hamburger Habit for lunch. It was just us kids, which always makes these outings four times as much fun.
So we ordered our burgers, waited a bit for the nifty buzzer things to frighten us to death, and finally prayed and ate, and boy, was that food good! Nothing like some good beef for a starved stomach. Mmm-hmm! But moving on. About halfway through gorging ourselves a big, six-foot-something, mustached cowboy walks up to our table very deliberately and asks if he can interrupt. 
Being the anti-social, unsuspecting homeschoolers that we are, we sat there, dumbfounded for about six seconds before all of us spluttered something along the lines of "Um...sure...ok"
"I saw you praying," we all prepared for the worst. One of my friends said that he was just about ready to jump up and fight the guy off, but he continued. "And I just wanted to say that I appreciate that. It's great to see the younger generation getting involved like that. God bless."

So the moral of the story: your faith doesn't just affect you. People around you see it and are reminded.
_________________________________________________________________________________
August 12th:

That last part turned out a lot deeper than I thought it would. It doesn't always seem like it, but I like to think of myself as a philosopher at heart. [end sarcasm]
_________________________________________________________________________________
August 9th:

I just came from a celebratory concert, but I simply HAVE to tell someone the news.

Now please, don't think I'm tooting my own horn and judge me. I am, in a way, but it's really just excitement talking.

Today my lamb went to auction and was sold for $25 a pound! Just to put this in perspective: my lamb is 120 lbs, lamb prices were at $10 average, and the resale price for lamb meat is $2 a pound.

I went up to the man who bought my lamb to give him a gift basket and thank him personally afterward. He said that he had gotten my letter* and that it was the best he's ever seen and that he was honored to buy my lamb! And not only that, but as I was talking to my mom a few minutes later a lady came up and said that she was sorry she didn't buy my lamb, but was pleased that I got such a great price and complimented my letter writing skills profusely.

So the moral of this story: when a girl says that she's writing 50 lamb letters, go home and write 60.

*I send out "lamb letters" to people to ask them to come and bid on my lamb at the auction.
_________________________________________________________________________________
August 12th:

On...well, I don't even remember what day it was, the Fair held their annual exhibitor knowledge test for the first time. I was quite keen to win, seeing as the first place prize was a belt buckle (the highest sign of rank at the barns). 

Luckily, I had known about it ahead of time, and studied up on lambs, reading some really great [end sarcasm] 400 year old vet guides. It scarred me for life. I really did NOT want to know that the only effective way of removing maggots from a sheep's wounds (I hear that it can happen frequently, though I have been fortunate enough to escape the plague) was to remove them with tweezers or drown them with cleaning solution. 

Unluckily, the test asked no such question.

They wanted me to answer odd, random sorts of things that I probably should have known, but had no clue what they were. How was I supposed to know that the flight zone of a lamb is it's personal space bubble of calmness, when the thing was invented within the last decade??

Even so, I didn't feel horrible about it. It had been fun, in it's own stressful, choose the right answer, sort of way. Plus there was no chance of me winning, seeing as about 30 dedicated lamb raisers were taking the test also. 

Last night, just for the fun of it, I was reading over the Fair bulletin board, and there it was.
Exhibitor's Lamb test Winners: Ebelline Hunt.
.........
AND ABBY BAGGINS!!!!

The moral of the last story: just be like me and you'll win some pretty great prizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment