Friday, September 20, 2013

I've Hated M+M's Ever Since that One Time...

The game was afoot. The ultimate test of my future as a gourmet food critic. My taste buds were tingling in expectation and adrenaline was coursing through my veins. This was my destiny.

The blindfold was set.

"You sure you want to go through with this, Allie?" There was a sneer in my brother's voice.

"Sean, I know you'll never believe me if I don't do this. Plus, what can be better than beating one's sibling AND winning five bucks from them all at once?" The case was settled.

He grunted, but proceeded with the contest.

"So, you may now feel the five bowls in front of you." I obeyed. "I've sorted out, like, a dozen bags of M+M's. One bowl is filled with just blues, the next reds, then yellow, green, and finally miscellaneous." I heard a series of scratching, sliding noises. "And they're nice and shuffled. Now we'll see if you can really taste the green ones! Is there a difference and, more importantly, ARE THEY THE BEST?"

Applause broke out. We had each invited only a few witnesses and they made a nice din. It was all I could do to keep my mind on the task at hand. Finally, I reached out and my hand fell upon the cool ceramic of our kitchen bowl. The sound drained from the room.

The candy was smooth between my fingers and I juggled it around a bit, just to show off, before placing it tentatively on my tongue.

Seconds passed, and I could sense a stir in the room. I couldn't leave them waiting.

"Blue."

The clapping commenced, and I could just make out one of Sean's friends whispering "How does she DO that?" above the racket.

I smiled, then raised my hand. A hush descended once more.

The events were repeated twice more and I successfully classified the yellow and red bowls.

Only two left.

"Drink."

There was a general scurrying which finally resulted i a cool glass being thrust into my outstretched hand. I drank deeply, draining the cup, then wiped off the mustache which had formed on my lip in my haste. I sighed heavily, clearing my head. 

This time I went straight to business, and plunged my hand into the nearest bowl and the sweet was in my mouth without hesitation. Little did I know, this was to be the worst mistake of my life.

My teeth fought to bite on the candy, and it was then that I realized the error. But it was too late. Intolerable sweetness exploded in my mouth. My senses later classified it as strawberry, but my brain refused to believe this.

Somewhere in front of me, I registered, horrified gasps escaped from the girls in the audience and loud, boisterous laughter from the boys. They had known.

The blindfold was off in an instant and my eyes were able to confirm what my mind was too innocent to fathom.

The bowls sat there, insolently, in front of me: one filled with M+M's off all colors. 

The other: Skittles.

3 comments: