Thursday, February 27, 2014

An Incomprehensible News Flash

In case you're wondering about the title: this post is a news flash insofar as I'm telling you lots of news and incomprehensible insofar as every paragraph was written too late at night and transitions are quick and random.

I love waltzing. And not only because of the whole getting into the semifinals the other dance. That's not the ONLY reason. From a practical point of view it may be because after about twenty fast-paced swing dances it's a nice breather. From a social point of view it may be because it's one of the few dances that you have the breath to talk to your friends. From a more truthful point of view it may be because almost all waltz music is schmaltzy (as my piano teacher would put it). Aka so wonderfully sappy and corny that it makes you feel like you're in a Disney movie. 

This seemingly random topic is, in fact, not as random as you might think. This Saturday my friends are hosting a dance for which I am arranging music. This is the second or third time I've been through this, but it is the first time that I've actually enjoyed myself listening to five hundred jazz songs that sound exactly the same. I've found some really great music that'll be amazing to dance to. In the past I've been able to find a few bands that play average swing music, but this time around I've been extremely picky and eliminated over half of the playlists. So we're getting nothing but the best. 

It's been quite a while since I've had time to post, in case you haven't noticed. That doesn't mean I haven't been writing, actually, I've been on a huge writing streak for the past week, but just proves that school was invented by the devil. Okay, that may have been a small exaggeration, but not far from the truth. I understand needing to know stuff, so as to be able to survive in that big bad world, but when it gets to the point where it takes up every waking minute of your existence something's wrong. I need to figure out a new method. Getting up early is detracting from my much needed beauty sleep.

One of the few distractions I can manage to snatch from my homework filled life is swim team. It's really great to be able to get away from the monotony of life and just chill for an hour and a half. The only draw back is that, until the last month or so, I haven't been to swim for almost four straight months. Now, I've never been an exceptionally fast swimmer, but that really tipped the scales. It's been a slow climb, but I'm starting to get back into the swing of things.

I started a writing prompt yesterday that I might post. I'm still not sure how it'll turn out. We shall see...
One funny thing I've been noticing about my writing is that my "voice" changes almost every time I sit down. I always knew I was a mood writer, but never fully understood the whole of my condition. It's really a pain because I'm sorta kinda a major procrastinator, and so when I start writing something I hardly ever finish it. Sometimes I'm in the mood to go back and finish it, but my attempts are often to no avail because I've already switched writing moods. It's really hard to follow a depressing, morose story when all of a sudden it's written in a flippant snarky manner. And, trust me, it's hard to write.

That's pretty much my life in a nutshell. But have you ever noticed the complexity of a nutshell? There's more to it than meets the eye.
Okay. I'm getting off now. That means you can stop reading now and go do something productive with your life. Write a book. Compose a masterpiece. Make a sandcastle.

4 comments:

  1. I claim the sandcastle option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I'd love to, but unfortunately for me, I a) cannot do this thing known as "productive." b) have so many things going on that I have writers block for (writers block x about 30) c) cannot compose to save my life and d) can't go to the beach cause it is raining.
    Or you could just say I'm lazy-pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I suppose those are legitimate handicaps, so you're excused. XD

      Delete