There really is nothing like sports. Nothing is more rewarding than a some friendly, competitive games. I have a lot of hobbies, but I think that sports may be my third favorite (high praise when you see my list of favorite things), trumped only by hanging out with friends and eating ice cream. It probably has something to do with the easily acquired skills + strategy + friends. Nothing is more satisfying than that recipe and a healthy dose of sportsmanship.
Actually, that's where sports can go terribly sour. I've played my share of games that, in and of themselves were great, but were played in such a way as to make the whole experience miserable. Sometimes people get too caught up in the game, and forget that it's just that: a game. Games should be fun. Granted, competition is one of the things that makes it so, but we sometimes have a tendency to take things a little too seriously. My brother played in Little League a few years ago, and it would always be a chore to watch his games, not because they were boring (I actually love watching baseball), but because there were always those families who couldn't loosen up and were screaming bloody murder every other play. Twas not particularly pleasant.
The thing is that I can't balance my competitiveness. I'm either way too invested (aka shouting myself and my teammates down) or not in the game at all. It's the hardest thing to get the right ratio of laxity and drive.
The best is when everybody's super chill about the game. No crazy expectations or goals, just a lot of team spirit and friendly banter with the
And that, my dear reader, is why I'd never make it in sports. Despite my overwhelming natural talent at many physical activities I 1) wouldn't be able to handle the stress, 2) can't stand poor sports/non-team-players, and 3) it just wouldn't ever be fair for the other team.
Also, I think the physical exertion would kill me. My feet will likely never recover, and I'll just have to limp lamely through the rest of my life.
yesterday was one of the best sports days i'v ever had. everybody was playing really well, and having an awesome time. although we got really exited when we finally beat you guys, i dont think any of us really cared at all about the scores of the other games, because everybody was just so happy to be playing volleyball and hanging out with the best people ever! oh, and don't think we're not enemies when we play against each other, cause we totally are. ;)
ReplyDeleteYeah, you and I are like cats and dogs when we play against eachother XD
DeleteWell, as time passes you learn to live without feet...or legs, really, most of the time. XD I agree with you 100%, playing sports with friends is WAY more fun than competitive sports. I love soccer, but sometimes it's really hard to deal with the pressure and the temptation to accidentally-on-purpose take someone on the other team out (it's really hard to resist sometimes ok? ). I just like it better when it's more relaxed and friendly. And it's really nice not to wake up with bruises :P
ReplyDeleteYeah, I discovered some bruises today that I'd totally missed. Gotta love playing against little kids with bony elbows!
Delete