Friday, January 31, 2014

Petrichor

It means the smell of dust after it rains. Petrichor. But I didn't ask you. No, but you were going to. Why is everyone fussing about the rain anyway?

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I love rain, but getting soaked to the bone and becoming a personalized air conditioner never fails to leach the poetry from it. That's why, on foggy days, my M.O. is often to ready my fortress for siege. I barricade myself in my room with school books piled high in an effort to entice me into work and also just to add to the quiet gloom of the room. Because sad is happy, for deep people. That, of course, doesn't mean that I actually get anything done. Oh no. In fact, rainy days incite about as much academic inspiration in me as sun inspires vampires. Instead of shutting up and doing what's good for me, I always seem to fritter my time away doing silly things like cleaning my room (an ever present chore), baking, and writing. Okay, cleaning and baking hardly ever pass the Uselessness Test, so for the most part those occupations are left undone.

These are some things rainy days make me do: sit on my throne. Write. Read something sad. Think.* Memorize Shakespeare. Pretend I'm a stow-away in a ship waiting for the inevitable when I'm caught and dragged to lunch.

You know what else is brilliant? Rain walks. I usually lack the stamina to stand up on days like these, much less take a mindless stroll (although I am a natural at the mindless part), therefore missing a golden opportunity. Sometimes I'm caught unawares and am able to enjoy the slow, steady drops of heaven tears (like that? I made it up) or the fine, chilly drizzle. I've taken to scorning umbrellas on these occasions. Here in Cali it isn't necessary anyway, not to mention that it would sap all the pleasure from the experience.

The only bummer is when it rains on a Friday. More particularly, when it rains on a Friday when you have two tests to study for. Well, two tests and a lizard. What all this is leading up to is...What I mean to say...I'm so so sorry but...I have till the rain stops and Ireallyshouldstopprocrastinatingandgetthisworkdone.

But before I go, I shall bestow upon you this priceless gift: http://www.rainymood.com/

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

*a shy hobby of mine, done on rare instances when no one is there to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment