Monday, January 20, 2014

Third Place!!

Last night was possibly the funnest dance I've ever been to. Now I'm not going to be able to do it justice, but it was seriously wonderful. It was a birthday dance for an acquaintance, so I had some doubts going into it, but, like I said, it turned out to be the best ever.

It's really hard to explain things like dances. Really it's just an accumulation of hundreds of little excitements and joys which, added together, equal pure epicness. It was just a mad dash of fun. The excitement when someone asks you to dance. The giddiness when it's over. The chats around punch and snacks.

Okay, I lied. There is one story which I will tell you about last night. After that I'll try my hardest to shut up about it. We'll see how that pans out.

There was kind of a lull in the music. They'd been playing some weird country songs that were next to impossible to dance to, so I was standing with some friends, gorging myself with birthday cake and laughing about the music. One of the songs ended and the MC announced that there would be a slew of waltzes coming up, including a waltz contest. There was nothing to lose, and they said there were prizes, so a few of us took our places on the floor.
I've only ever officially learned the box step, and my partner was in pretty much the same boat, so we just joked around the whole time, and made up about half a dozen moves. It was a blast. We had a slow spin and a double time spin, a dip and a back to back and a promenade. Then we combined everything and did them one after another with only minor injuries. Toes heal quickly, I've been told.

The song ended (is it just me, or do waltzes last like twice as long as other songs?) and we kind of clumped up again. I was parched, so I ran off to get a drink, and they started announcing the finalists without me. I couldn't really hear, but I could have sworn that they said "Abby and her partner." Then I heard "Mercy and her partner." I ran back to congratulate her, and half way there receive a hug from my partner. We'd BOTH made the finals! And then we heard our other friends called up. So, out of the four competing couples, three of them were from my friends! It was pretty gnarly. In the end Mercy and I tied for 3rd, my friend got second, and the birthday girl's brother and his fiance won first. But it was so fun I can't even talk.



Just really quickly:

  • A few posts ago I talked about our youth group. It's turning out really well! Our first meeting of the year was on Tuesday, and I think it was very coherent and well oriented throughout the night. Let's hope it stays that way!!
  • I'm really tired right now and am not looking forward to four hours of Irish dancing today
  • I'M WATCHING SHERLOCK TONIGHT! It's going to be so amazing I can't even think. Oh my gosh. This is really happening, peoples!

2 comments:

  1. so much fun! who knew waltzing was so amazing? and you were like the best partner ever, it was way gnarly! cant wait to to do it agan cause i already invented another move so we'll see how that works. anyways, see ya tonight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never would have guessed! I'm glad we did it :) Can't wait to see the new move! It was SO fun.

      Delete